Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Dealing with Difficulty

This week, the great times we've had as a family and the many happy memories we've made have been on my mind. I also think about the challenges we've had in our family over the past 6 months.

Since the summer, we've moved about 1,000 miles away from our families to a new state, we added a new baby to our family of 6 just 4 short months prior to that move, our oldest son had some concerning health issues where he needed medical testing and we were very concerned for about 2 months (ended well with a diagnosis and medication that is helping him, what a blessing!), I broke my toe around Christmas and basically was unable to get around for 2 weeks, and my husband sprained his ankle right before that! I've had sadnesses to overcome that could be described: "in the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can’t see."

The list goes on: separations due to my dear husband's work trips, trying to get the house set up alone while caring for 5 children, illnesses that went through the whole family, getting the two oldest boys set up in their new cub scout troop, figuring out homeschooling in a new area, making new friends, etc, etc.



Whew! There really have been some trying times! Emotional roller coasters and late nights ensued. I know many people could claim harder trials (which helps me not feel sorry for myself! I don't have it so bad)....but it leads me to want to talk with others about life's journey of ups and downs and how to deal with them all.

I've been thinking about when life is not easy and when challenges come. How do I deal with them? How do you deal with them?

It's a pretty personal thing, but talking about this generally can be such a blessing. I know that when I go through a hard time, it helps to talk with others who have been there and can share an insight that shows things get better. And sometimes I learn something I didn't know before someone shared. I share this post as much for my own encouragement as anyone else's! No one is exempt from life's trials, including bloggers :-)

Thinking back to how I coped through my own personal challenges, these things came to mind:

  • Prayer is a lifeline for me, personally. When I am struggling or confused or lonely, I pray to God and feel His presence close-by. His spirit leads me with ideas that come to my mind, and so even though I do not know everything, when I follow those little thoughts and spiritual promptings little by little, somehow I am able to go through the day, doing the things that keep us going.
  • The word of the Lord never fails....sometimes I forget to turn to it, but when I remember, it never fails to bless me. Psalms in particular refresh me and bring me hope. For any trouble, there is a scripture for that. Best medicine there is, no prescription needed!
  • I talk with someone I trust. My husband is dear to me. He often listens with a lot of patience and compassion for me. That has been a blessing to me. My Mom is also a dear person who shares with me her concern and care for me and that means a lot to know she is thinking of me.
  • Music! It still amazes me how powerful one song that lifts my spirits can be. I love hymns for this. I often find some on Mormon Channel or Youtube but recently discovered some lovely ones on Spotify. I have a small personal LDS hymnal that I sometimes pick up and choose a hymn to sing that fits my need of the moment. At the bottom of each page, there are two scriptures that accompany that particular song and sometimes I end my devotional by looking those up and reading them. 
  • Patience. I know that things always get better and often its darkest right before dawn. That means its often hardest right before things ease up, so hold on and have hope! I try to remind myself of this and its definitely not easy!

These verses from Romans chapter 5 speak peace to my soul. The rest of the chapter is so good.

Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.





How do you cope when situations or your emotions feel overwhelming to you or when you face a challenge that really stretches your ability to cope? What resource or place do you turn to for answers to your questions? Thanks for sharing what helps you. You never know how your own comments can bless others who read! :-)

7 comments:

  1. I take an extra pill! heehee. Kidding. That would be irresponsible use of medications.

    I don't know really, you just reach down deep and plow through, ya know? And all your suggestions of course. Sometimes none of that seems to help though-- and you just feel alone. Of course we never are, but it can feel that way. Trials can isolate us, from each other and from the Lord, if we're not careful to watch our thoughts. Mine get away from me sometimes. I turn to close friends. And meds. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is certainly something to be said for just plowing through! Persistence pays off. I think its just hard in the 'middle' sometimes. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
    2. I don't mean to gloss over the other things you shared about medication and being careful to watch thoughts (thinking of depression here). I know just what you mean and I agree, both are important. Thanks again for sharing what has helped you. Sometimes just hearing from others who have been hard places and back emotionally makes a difference!

      Delete
  2. Eve ~ it certainly seems you have had a generous portion of challenges recently!
    Motherhood is a tough call sometimes, in itself. So glad to hear your son has some treatment and you at least know whats going on with him.And I hope your toe is mended.

    What do I do when feeling overwhelmed? Yes, like you I pray and draw close to the Lord ( sometimes in the form of ' I need this.... (patience, courage etc) NOW, please, Lord!!!)
    I read and write notes and endless lists, sometimes this helps...

    I try to simplify and not be perfectionist.

    And talk to others including dear blog friends.

    Kids always respond well to being distracted when they're on a run downhill, as I'm sure you know having had more experience than me (only had two)

    Finally, let me just say how sweet 'n chirpy you look in profile pic...one would never know what you have been up against!
    Bless you,
    xx Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I identify with the list making and writing notes, too. Thanks, Alex, for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eve, this was a powerful post filled with great ways of reaching up to your Heavenly Father and walking with the Savior. You have really had a lot to deal with over the last few months; this too will pass.
    Life does bring us lots of ups and downs. One scripture that has helped me more than any other through some struggling moments is in Proverbs 3: 5-6. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding in all thy ways acknowledge Him and he shall direct thy path". I love the hymns too and they bring me great comfort. Of course, I don't know what I would do without prayers. My Grandmother used to tell me to always carry a prayer in my heart. She had great wisdom.
    Blessings to you for a very inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, thanks for saying that. It has been a lot to handle. It's kind of nice to hear someone else say that, too. I am overwhelmed for good reason! Your Grandmother sounds very sweet. I like that, to always carry a prayer in your heart. It's so good to hear what others have/do to overcome challenges and survive well! Thank you, for the blessing of your comment, LeAnn!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment today! I love reading your thoughts, too. :-)