Monday, December 3, 2012

Decisions, decisions

I was recently reminded of one of my favorite quotes, below:

"You rarely have time for everything you want in this life, so you need to make choices. And hopefully your choices can come from a deep sense of who you are."
--Fred Rogers......Yes, that Fred Rogers ;-)

So many people have such strong opinions these days about what choices women should make with their lives, such as: delay marriage or having children or combine work or secondary education and raising children or what number of children to have or how to mother one's children or how to be involved in grown children's and young grand children's lives.

In contrast to a cacophony of biased voices ringing shrill and loud,  I find this quote refreshingly clear and quiet, as it came from a man who did not say this with women's choices in mind nor sought to force his ideas on anyone.

When I read this, I am impressed that choosing what to do with one's time or life goals is a human question, not just a "man" or "woman" or "Mom" question. And, I have found, it is just a true statement.

In a way, it simplifies the decision, for me, of the kind of person I want to be now and where I choose to prioritize my focus and effort as a woman, wife, and mother: my home and family, mainly, and, in keeping with the current needs of my young family, my community.

There has never been a greater need for stronger homes and families and mothers are central to these.
I have been listening to the Mormon Channel, as well, for added insight and inspiration on this topic. Link, here:  "A Mothers Influence".


Does this quotation spark any ideas for you, 
with your own unique circumstances and gifts in mind? 
What quotes inspire you?


 

3 comments:

  1. wow, that is a great quote! and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very thoughtful post today. I really loved the quote. I feel like I am always praying to know what is the most important thing to do each day. What priorities are going to bring about more satisfaction and joy in my life. I find that it is usually a daily choice and I often don't do the best of all the things I would lke too. I am going to ponder upon your thoughts today.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As humans we try to do so many things at once, thinking we need to be doing so much and making so many people happy.This quote makes me think that we should be focusing more on who we want to be and what is important for us and not trying to do everything, which only waters down how much we put into it. For myself my centre is my home and family. Making memories, raising little people and being a good mother and wife.None of this is easy, to say the least.But if we focus on more too much we will not succeed in anything.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment today! I love reading your thoughts, too. :-)