Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Yogurt Making Update...

 Success! I made a batch last night and it worked great!

IMAG2856.jpg



I used a packet of Yogourmet starter because, well, it was my first batch and I wanted to see how it would work. I’d like to try it next time with plain whole milk yogurt as a starter and see how that works for me. Who knows? Maybe I'll just reserve some of the yogurt I made and see if it will work as a starter for the next batch. Just might do that. :-)

Anyway, here’s how I made mine: I heated 4 cups of raw milk in a clean pan on the stove for just 5 minutes on low until the milk was about 112′. Then, I let the milk cool (just a few minutes) until it registered 108′ or so on the candy thermometer. I took out a small amount of the warmed milk in a cup and gently stirred in the Yogourmet starter with a clean spoon until thoroughly mixed, then gently swirled that mixture into the pan of warm milk.

I poured that into my Salton yogurt maker that was already plugged in and warmed up (makes 1 quart), put the cover on, and wrapped a towel around just for fun, and left it overnight warming.

In the morning, it was nice and warm and set up perfectly! Thicker than even some of the storebought Organic yogurt I have purchased in the past. There was about 1/2 c whey on top, which I drained off and stored for use later for other recipes.

I am so excited to know it’s easy to do, not time consuming at all, and I calculate this could save us at least $10 for every 6 quarts I make, even using Organic/raw milk–our family really likes yogurt! Sweet!


Note: If you are not into raw milk products, you can adapt the recipe by heating the milk to 180' and then letting it cool to 110' or so before adding in yogurt starter.

If you wonder what the heck I am doing feeding my family raw milk products, you may be interested to understand why. Here's a link or two to get you started:

Raw Milk Facts
What is raw milk and is it healthy?



This post is linked up @Time Warp Wife, Raising 4 PrincessesChef-in-TrainingRaising Homemakers, Far Above Rubies, Real Food Wednesday.






5 comments:

  1. getting ready to try this also!

    I’m having a link party on my blog today if you want to come over and share this I’d be just tickled pink! Here’s the link if you’re interested! http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/2012/01/t-time-51-and-link-party.html Happy New Year, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you get raw milk? I'm curious. do you just go to a farm? I'd love to make your yogurt recipe. I love making everything from cottage cheese and other forms of cheese. It's just too much fun.

    Veronica @ http://watchmeplaynlearn.blogspot.com/2012/01/water-beads.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Maria! I linked up :-)

    Veronica, there are local farms that sell it near me. You can look online for Weston A. Price or Real Milk --there are directories with stores or farms that sell. There are quite a few stores in California that carry raw milk products--some other states not so much. Good luck and if you do make yogurt, I hope you'll share how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried a couple of times to make home-made yogurt, but it is always terrible! I will try this; I didn't use raw milk so I wonder if that's why it's not working out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yogurt is on my to do list! So glad it worked for you!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment today! I love reading your thoughts, too. :-)