Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas is About Love

Christmas is a season for giving. After all, we have all been given the greatest gift, a Savior, Jesus Christ, who was born and died and rose again, so each of us could receive the gift of eternal life.

What better way to share in that love than to give from our hearts?


During this season, I like to find a way to give to a person who is is need. It just makes the whole holiday brighter; there's just something sweet about knowing one life you touch is a little better, happier, or warmer for you being in it. It also helps me to keep connected to the meaning for the season, instead of getting too caught up in all the frills and things that can get distracting.

This is such a nice video--just illustration and music.
My kids liked it. Hope yours do, too.




One way we've reached out to other children as a family is by sending out a box or two for Operation Christmas Child. They are sent out and distributed by an international charity that acts as Santa to boys and girls in third world countries.

The group is Christian-based and include a pamphlet about God's love with each box donated for each child. My kids had a good time thinking about what each child might like and then choosing them at the $1 store. The photos below are from boxes we sent out three years ago. Our project this year was a secret ;-)


 What does Christmas mean to you? I'd love to hear your stories of love! Love doesn't have to involve buying things, but it is the thought and heart of the giver that counts.



5 comments:

  1. It's good to remind ourselves of why we celebrate Christmas isn't it rather than getting caught up with the materialistic side of things! And as you said one way to do that is to give to those in need. This year our church organised to collect gifts to donate to the Salvation Army which will go to kids who might not otherwise get a present on Christmas day! It felt great to do that on a big scale!
    Have a lovely Christmas and I'll come back in 2012 as I'll be away for a break for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each year I like to do something inspired. Still wondering what that would be this year...:0) Maybe I will come across someone who is cold. What a beautiful video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary, thanks for your warm wishes for Christmas! I hope your break is rejuvenating and that your Christmas is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked the video, Julie. Have you seen the nativity and life of Christ ones on the Mormon Channel recently? There are some very neat ones there, as well. Best wishes finding something inspiring to do for another and I wish you and your sweet family a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea. I've never done operation Christmas child. I'd love to do this next year thanks for sharing.

    Veronica @ http://watchmeplaynlearn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment today! I love reading your thoughts, too. :-)