Monday, May 23, 2011

Socialization in Homeschool

I thought Joyce Kinmont covered this topic well in this short video below. It's always validating to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about that there is nothing to fear about this topic as homeschoolers. I like how she said, "neither homeschooling, nor the absence of public schooling, causes children to be awkward or socially inept....to accept such a premise is to say that families are actually bad for children and that the state is the better parent."

What do you think?


{Visit the blog to view the video if you are reading this as an e-mail/reader}




Joyce Kinmont of ldshea.org speaks about homeschool and socialization
through an LDS perspective. An article on this topic that she wrote can be found HERE.
More videos on their YouTube channel is HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, I'm posting this from my phone, so I can't watch the video, but as far as the quote goes:

    I think it's disengenuous to make this a state vs. family issue. The state isn't socializing your kids, other kids are. The advantage of public schools for building (most) children's social skills comes from the sheer abundance of children present. It is possible to achieve the same level of socialization with homeschooling, but it takes a lot more vigilance on the part of the parents. I do think you're actively putting your kids in these social situations, and that's very nice to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ben! Thanks for the comment.
    I think what you wrote raises the questions for me: what is socialization, really, and how does one come by it? Does a child need a room full of peers for 12 years of their life 5 days a week in order to become a happy, well-adjusted person? That is something many people wonder about. Glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment today! I love reading your thoughts, too. :-)