Saturday, April 9, 2011

Baked French Toast & Oven Omelet

Have you ever heard of Ree Drummond, aka The Pioneer Woman?
(Everyone nodding here!)
She's got a cute true-life romance book out about her
and her cowboy husband. My sister Beth liked it, and I have yet to read it,
but her story on her blog was funny!!
And she has a recipe book!

I have been wanting to make her Cinnamon Baked French Toast
for a while and last night I got started.

The recipe called for one loaf of crusty bread.
Since I didn't want to go out to the store, I started a loaf in my
handy dandy bread machine. When it was done baking,
I cut it in cubes and let it cool. I put together
the casserole and put it in the fridge overnight.
Easy-peasy!

This morning, I preheated the oven and sprinkled on the crumb mixture
I had premixed the night before and baked it for about 45 minutes.

Here it is after I pulled it out of the oven. Mmmm...it smelled SO GOOD.

IMAG1933



As I was checking my e-mail while it was baking, I came across Crystal's recipe for omelet on her blog, Every Day Food Storage, and found this recipe for Oven Denver Omelet. This recipe is good because it can double easily for a crowd and is a yummy way to use the powdered egg I have in my pantry. I had a few minutes before the baked french toast would be done, so I decided to whip this up, too. Why waste a hot oven?

I usually use powdered egg in baked goods, so I was wondering how they would taste in an omelet as one of the main ingredients. (It was a little crumblier than real egg but tasted just fine!)

By this time, my cute little 3 year old buddy was asking what I was up to, and was very happy to be invited into the kitchen. It turns out he is a superb mixer of eggs and cream! He happily whisked and chopped bell pepper with a butter knife. Kids make great sous chefs!


IMAG1932

Eggs before oven:

IMAG1934

Baked and piping hot...

IMAG1935

Doesn't this look yummy? It smelled really amazing with that sweet nutmeg-y aroma...

IMAG1940

And the eggs were a hit!

IMAG1937

Kid Approved!

IMAG1943.jpg

The baked french toast and oven omelet were perfect together!
If I were to make the baked french toast for just our family of six,
I would halve it and bake it in a 8x8 glass dish. 

To serve the eggs to my family, plus guests,
I would double the recipe and bake it in a 9x13 glass dish. 
This combination would make a great "company" breakfast!


Here we are, a couple of Happy Chefs and Breakfast Buddies!

IMAG1942


Bon Appetit and Happy Weekend to you!


2 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks delicious. I think I'll try this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Julie! I am so glad you stopped by my blog. I hope you enjoy the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment today! I love reading your thoughts, too. :-)