Sunday, December 12, 2010

Heirloom Tablecloth

Inspired by MaryAnn Kohl's book "Cooking Art",
I decided to create one just for us.

Wouldn't that be fun to eat right on top of your 'artwork' at mealtime?

I was excited because everything I needed
I already had around the house!


IMAG1552


IMAG1551




Now, if I wanted a 'fancier' tablecloth,
I might use something besides a sheet, but I am okay with simplicity.

The children, my husband and I colored pictures using fabric crayons on white typing paper and I then ironed the paper designs onto the sheet.

Here, my oldest son stands by his creation, just prior to ironing.
(This is his 'soldier' face)


IMAG1553

The baby had a good time, as well.

IMAG1550

I traced her handprint and made it into a flower!

IMAG1560

Two more examples:

IMAG1559
I know, you all have wooden sword envy. ;-)

IMAG1556

I wrote each person's name on
his or her 'placemat' in permanent marker.

It was sure a lot of fun seeing the kids' faces light up when
they saw their artwork at their place at the table!
I love how quick and easy this project is
and imagine how this will bring smiles
and prompt good memories every time we use it.


IMAG1554


2 comments:

  1. That is cute! I think kids of lots of different ages would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Where do you find fabric crayons? The fabric store? Does that make them transfer when ironed? Can your table cloth be washed? With my kids, it would need to be washed on a very regular basis. hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment today! I love reading your thoughts, too. :-)